Drawn by the abundance of salt hay, Huntington farmers began settlements in Amityville, in 1653. Originally referred to as Huntington Southwest Neck, the name Amityville was adopted in 1846 at a raucous village meeting. Prominent Amityville citizen, Sammual Ireland, became impatient with the debate and suggested that the village be named after his schooner, the "Amity," which means friendly.
Since its beginnings, Amityville has been a center of business and transportation. The Southside Railroad began service to Amityville in 1867, and the Cross-Island trolley line first came from Huntington in 1909. The Bank of Amityville was founded in 1891, and the library was organized in 1907. Amityville also became a popular summer resort area in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
Amityville became Babylon Town's second incorporated village on March 3, 1894. Charles Wood was elected Amityville's first Village President.