Huntington South: The 19th Century

As Huntington South grew, friction began to develop between the North and South. The issue that sparked a cry for division of the Town was a road project in the Village of Huntington. Since the Village was unincorporated, the costs of the controversial project were applied to all the real property in the Town of Huntington, including Huntington South.

The South Side Signal, which began publication in June 1869, in Babylon Village, was the most vocal opponent of the road project. The first printed suggestion of dividing the Town of Huntington appeared in the February 12, 1870 edition of the Signal. Henry Livingston, founder and editor of the Signal, cited the rapid growth of the south shore communities and control of the Town by Huntington Village as the primary reasons for dividing the Town.

Signal Building

The South Side Signal building originally located on Main Street in Babylon Village. The building later became the Red Lion English Pub. In the early 1990s, the building was saved from destruction and moved across the street, where it presently remains.

Henry LivingstonHenry Livingston, founder and editor of the South Side Signal newspaper.

As the momentum for division grew, a series of town-wide meetings were held where some individuals endorsed the idea of a three-town division. A referendum was held on January 27, 1872, and, by more than a 2 to 1 margin, the voters supported a two-town division.