- 150th Anniversary
- Amityville Community Profile
Amityville Community Profile
Village of Amityville
- History Highlights
- Amityville – the Name, the Zip Code, Etc.
- School District
- Fire Department
- Historical Societies/Museums
- Historical Markers
- Monuments and Memorials
- Books About Amityville History
- Community Organizations
- Village Government
- Parks & Recreational Facilities
Formerly known as West Neck South, the Amityville area was settled by Huntington farmers, beginning around 1658. The name Amityville was adopted in 1846. During an argumentative community meeting, local mill owner Samuel Ireland suggested naming the community after his boat named Amity, meaning friendly.
Ireland’s Mill which stood at the foot of Ireland’s Pond, on the north side of Montauk Highway, Amityville. Razed in 1914. Picture taken from a watercolor made by Mrs. E. Worth Squires in 1903, and owned by Mrs. Gladys Haight.
The village became an important transportation center. In 1867 the South Side Railroad first arrived in Amityville. Beginning in 1909, the Cross Island trolley line operated from Huntington to Amityville. The following year, a trolley line was built east to Babylon village. Convenient travel established Amityville as an ideal vacation spot, with many waterfront hotels, including New Point Hotel (1893), Hathaway Inn (1910) and Narraganset Inn (1914).
Long Island Rail Road Station at Amityville, circa 1910. A Cross-Island trolley car heading to Huntington is seen on the overpass. Bowing out to the popularity of automobiles, the Cross-Island Line ended in 1919.
A number of notable medical facilities were formed in the small community. Opened in 1881 by John Louden the Long Island Home was originally named the Long Island Home for Nervous Invalids, and later became South Oaks Hospital. Brunswick Home was established in 1882, and Louden Hall Psychiatric Hospital was founded 1886.