- 150th Anniversary
- Amityville Community Profile
- Amityville School District
Amityville School District
The Amityville School District is comprised of the Village of Amityville and the western half of the hamlet of North Amityville. School district boundaries were established in the early-1800s. Prior to 1872, it was known as Town of Huntington School District No. 23. After the Town of Babylon separated from Huntington in 1872, it became known as Town of Babylon School District No. 6, before the name Amityville Union Free School District was adopted in the early 1900s.
Amityville school class, circa 1933.
The first Amityville school was a private school built around 1848 on Cedar Street. First school 1657. The two-story public school built in 1878 still exists as a business building at 162 Broadway, opposite Avon Place. That school was discontinued in 1895, when Amityville’s first high school opened. As the only district school, it served all grades up through high school, and later became known as Park North.
From around 1874 to 1895, the district also operated a small school on Albany Avenue, just north of Sunrise Highway (which did not exist at the time) known as “Colored School No. 6” (the “No. 6” designation was a reference to Town of Babylon School District No. 6). At the urging of Civil War Veteran Charles D. Brewster and other district residents, the Albany Avenue school was discontinued and the Park Avenue school became the sole, integrated school for the district.
Amityville High School, circa 1915, commonly referred to as Park North. The building now houses the district’s administration offices.
Park Avenue Memorial Elementary School and Amityville Memorial High School were both named in memorial honor to local veterans. The Edmund W. Miles Middle School was named for a long-time Amityville educator. Mr. Miles who was an elementary and junior high school principal, and was chairman of the mathematics department at Amityville High School.
School District Mascot – Warriors
School District Colors – Maroon and Grey
- Park North Elementary School (originally Amityville High School) – opened 1895, closed 1972 and became district administration offices
- Northeast Elementary School – opened 1952
- Northwest Elementary School – opened 1952
- Park Avenue Memorial Elementary School (originally Amityville High School and, later, Park Central) – opened 1924 *Park South, 1932
- Edmund W. Miles Middle School – opened 1962
- Amityville Memorial High School – opened 1952
For further reading: Amityville’s 1894 School House, by William T. Lauder and Charles F. Howlett (available at the Amityville Historical Society and the Amityville Public Library)
Amityville Union Freed School District, Central Administration, 150 Park Avenue, Amityville, NY 11701 www.amityvilleschools.org