Despite its name, the Copiague School District is actually comprised of the hamlet of Copiague, the eastern half of the hamlet of North Amityville, and a western part of the hamlet of North Lindenhurst. It can be confusing to understand the layout of our present school districts, particularly in areas where opposite sides of the same street are part of different school districts.
Most of our school district boundaries were established in the mid-1800s. The landscape of our communities changed – from farms and fields to streets and homes – but school district boundaries largely stayed the same.
Prior to 1872, the school district was known as Town of Huntington School District No. 22, after the Town of Babylon separated from Huntington in 1872, it became known as Town of Babylon School District No. 5, before the name Copiague Union Free School District was adopted in the early 1900s.