When the Copiague Memorial Public Library formed in 1960, one of the first actions made by the Board of Trustees was a resolution naming the new library “in honor of those residents of Copiague who faithfully served our country in the past wars.”
The first location of the Copiague Library was in the old auditorium of the Great Neck Road Elementary School. This image, circa 1961, shows the library sign on the left side of the doorway. Image courtesy of the Copiague Fire Department.
The library opened in the old auditorium of the Great Neck Road School (now the school’s library) and was later housed in the old fire department headquarters (now Polish & Slavic Federal Credit Union). The current library building opened in 1989.
Copiague Memorial Public Library, 50 Deauville Boulevard, Copiague, NY 11726 (631) 691-1111 www.copiaguelibrary.org