Established in 1928, theCopiague Fire Departmentestablished two firehouses, the headquarters on Great Neck Road and a station on Dixon Avenue. Before the fire district was established, fire companies from adjacent Amityville and Lindenhurst would come to Copiague to fight fires but, of course, it took longer for those companies to be alerted and get to the scene. The 1925 fire that destroyed the Marconiville Hotel was one of the devastating fires that prompted local residents to establish a dedicated fire district for Copiague.
The Copiague Fire Department fleet pictured at Tanner Park (notice the old bathing pavilion), in 1992.
The present Dixon Avenue Station No. 1 was built in 1954, and the Great Neck Road headquarters opened in 1966. The original headquarters was later used as the public library until the late 1980s and further renovated as the present Polish & Slavic Federal Credit Union.
Vigilant Engine Co., est. 1928
Eagle Engine Co., est. 1928
Hook, Ladder & Rescue Co., est. 1947
Firematic Drill Team, the “Yellow Birds,” est. 1971
Fire Police Squad, est. 1937, disbanded 1980s
Copiague Fire Department, 320 Great Neck Road, Copiague, NY 11726 (631) 842-1100 (non-emergency) www.copiaguefd.com