The West Babylon Volunteer Fire Company organized in 1945. The town of Babylon approved the fire company on September 18, 1945 and the first official meeting was held on November 8, 1945. At that first meeting, the volunteers approved the proposed by-laws and elected officers: President Ellison C. Driscoll, Vice-President Albert E. Kendall, Secretary Townsend E. Driscoll, Treasurer Hugo Avolin, and Trustees Stephen Smith, Max Ottens and James O’Brien. The new company purchased a 6-cylinder, 1944 Chevrolet truck from the War Assets Corporation and a company banner, but it did not yet provide fire protection.
In 1947, the company moved towards creating a fire department, separate from the Babylon Fire Department, and the West Babylon Fire District was approved in 1948.
The fleet of Station No. 1 in 1954. (l-r) 1951 Mack 505, 1944 Army truck, 1951 Mack, 1948 Ford LaFrance, 1952 Cadillac Ambulance, 1948 Maxim Hook and Ladder truck. (Photo courtesy of the West Babylon Volunteer Fire Department.)
West Babylon’s Station No. 2 on Herzel Boulevard, which was established in 1949.
(Photo courtesy of the West Babylon Volunteer Fire Department.)
First Chief’s automobile (Chief Joseph Kramarcik), 1956 Buick Special, purchased for $2800.
West Babylon Fire Department, 1958 American La France (called “Betsy”). The new truck was christened by Mrs. Julius Reuss.
West Babylon Volunteer Fire Department, 126 Arnold Avenue, West Babylon, NY 11704 (631) 669-7165 (non-emergency) www.westbabylonfd.org