- 150th Anniversary
- Wyandanch Community Profile
- A Brief Look at Wyandanch Population
A Brief Look at Wyandanch Population
When it separated from the Town of Huntington in 1872, the Town of Babylon had a population of about 3,000 people. The chart below illustrates the population growth of Wyandanch and the Town of Babylon.
|Decade ||Wyandanch Population ||Town of Babylon Population|
Please note: While the boundaries of the Town of Babylon are clearly defined and have remained the same since 1872, the “boundaries” of the hamlets are not clearly defined.
In the census, hamlets are referred to as Census Designated Places (CDP), the boundaries of which can change from decade to decade.
*Since 1990, Wyandanch and Wheatley Heights have been separate CDPs. Censuses up through 1980 used a CDP that included both communities, making it appear that the population of Wyandanch decreased, but it was actually a change in the area in which residents were counted.
The largest and fastest increase in population occurred after World War II, commonly referred to as the “Suburban Population Boom.” From 1940 to 1960, the population of the Town of Babylon increased by 485%. The rapid increase of residents brought an increased need for housing, schools, road improvements, stores and commercial developments, and employment. In those short decades, much of the Town of Babylon and its communities changed from rural countryside to suburban neighborhoods.
Contrary to local myth, the community of Wheatley Heights has never been part of the Wyandanch School District. The two communities share a zip-code, 11798, however, the area now known as Wheatley Heights has been part of the Half Hollow Hills School District since the mid-1800s. When the Town of Babylon separated from the Town of Huntington, in 1872, the town dividing line ran through an existing school district, creating a sometimes confusing situation where Town of Babylon residents (Wheatley Heights) were in a school district based in the Town of Huntington (Half Hollow Hills).
This 1873 shows the red division line between the towns of Babylon and Huntington. The Half Hollow Hills School District appears on both sides of the line, in green. The old Wyandanch-Deer Park School District, in pink, is shown stretching from the Wellwood Avenue on the west to the Islip Town border on the east.
Atlas of Long Island, NY published by Beers, Comstock & Cline, 18