East Farmingdale Schools
Most of our school district boundaries were established in the mid-1800s. The landscape of our communities changed – from farms and fields to streets and homes – but school district boundaries largely stayed the same, with a few exceptions.
The hamlet of East Farmingdale is part of two school districts. Residents that live north of the railroad attend the Half Hollow Hills Central School District, and those residing south of the railroad line attend the Farmingdale School District. Although, neither the Farmingdale nor Half Hollow Hills school districts are headquartered within the Town of Babylon boundaries, they are an important part of the Town of Babylon for the role they play in the lives of East Farmingdale students, families and residents.
Farmingdale School District
The Farmingdale School District can trace its start to 1814. In Farmingdale’s Story – Farms to Flight, by the Farmingdale Junior Historical Society (1956), it was reported that there were few records for the school district before 1864 when the Farmingdale District was designated as “Joint School District No. 22 of Towns of Oyster Bay, Queens County, and Huntington, Suffolk County.” In 1892, it became a Union Free School District. The district was renumbered and was known as “Joint District No. 8, Town of Oyster Bay, Queens County, and Babylon, Suffolk County.” [Prior to 1899, Nassau County was part of Queens County and prior to 1872, the Town of Babylon was part of the Town of Huntington.]
Starting in the 1920s, some East Farmingdale farms and open spaces became manufacturing facilities and some residential developments were started. However, it was the 1950s population boom that brought the need for more school facilities. Many Long Island districts, like Farmingdale, operated just 1 or 2 schools prior to the 1950s and then needed to expand existing schools and build larger schools to accommodate the growing population.
School District Mascot – Lion
School District Colors – White and Green
- Albany Avenue School – opened 1957
- Northside Elementary School – opened 1962
- Saltzman East Memorial – opened 1955 (originally known as East Farmingdale Memorial School and, later, East Memorial School)
- In 1999, the School Board renamed the East Memorial School for Stanley David Saltzman (1933-1998), a 42-year educator with the Farmingdale School District. Saltzman became principal of the East Memorial Elementary School in 1966.
- Woodward Parkway School – opened 1955
- Weldon E. Howitt Middle School – opened 1953 (originally known as Weldon E. Howitt High School)
- Named for Weldon E. Howitt (1885-1981), who started in the Farmingdale School District as a biology teacher in 1919, and served as high school principal from 1929 until his retirement in 1945.
- Farmingdale High School – opened 1961
Farmingdale Union Free School District, 50 Van Cott Avenue, Farmingdale, NY 11735 (516) 434-5100 www.farmingdaleschools.org
Half Hollow Hills Central School District
Presently, the School District has five elementary schools, two middle school and two high schools. Former district schools included: Sweet Hollow School (closed 1970s); Taukomas, The Hills and Manasquan Schools (closed 1980s); Burr’s Lane Junior High School (closed 1990s); and Chestnut Hill and Forest Park School (closed 2014).
School District Mascot – the Colt
School District Colors – Red and Gold
- Otsego Elementary School – opened 1967
- Paumanok Elementary School – opened 1968
- Signal Hill Elementary School – opened 1968
- Sunquam Elementary School – opened 1952
- Vanderbilt Elementary School – opened 1966
- Candlewood Middle School – opened 1965
- West Hollow Middle School – opened 1970
- Half Hollow Hills East High School (formerly, Half Hollow Hills High School)
- Half Hollow Hills West High School – opened 1975
Half Hollow Hills Central School District, 525 Half Hollow Road, Dix Hills, NY 11746 (631) 592-3000 www.hhh.k12.ny.us