Lindenhurst School District
The Lindenhurst School District encompasses the Village of Lindenhurst and the hamlet of North Lindenhurst. School district boundaries were established in the early-1800s. Prior to 1872, it was known as Town of Huntington School District No. 29. After the Town of Babylon separated from Huntington in 1872, it became known as Town of Babylon School District No. 4, before the name Lindenhurst Union Free School District was adopted in the early 1900s.
The earliest known school census for the old Town of Huntington School District No. 29 was taken in 1840. The census consisted of __ families with a total of ___ children between the ages of 5 and 15. A small school stood on the south side of Montauk Highway, just west of Wellwood Avenue.
When the community of Breslau was started in 1870, an important draw to new homebuyers was access to education for their children. An old railroad depot, which had been moved to the presently named School Street, was used as a German language school, which reported 240 registered students in 1873. As the population of Breslau grew, so did the need for larger school facilities. In 1876, a four-room schoolhouse was built, also on School Street.
The schoolhouse built in 1876 was expanded in 1899, as reflected in this postcard image.
The School Street School, which opened in 1910.
Lindenhurst High School, which opened in 1932, and is now the Lindenhurst Middle School.
Also built on School Street, a new three-story brick school was opened in 1910. The school educated student to the 8th grade. Students who wanted continue their education on the high school level typically attended the high schools in Amityville or Babylon. The School Street School was the only district school until the Lindenhurst High School (now the Middle School) opened on Wellwood Avenue in 1932.
The 1950s population boom brought many changes to Lindenhurst, particularly the need for more school facilities. As detailed below, several elementary schools were built in the 1950s and 1960s. Some of those schools have been closed and repurposed, and one was demolished.
School District Mascot – Bulldogs
School District Colors – White, Yellow and Green
- Albany Avenue Elementary School – opened 1961
- Alleghany Avenue Elementary School – opened 1958
- Daniel Street Elementary School – opened 1958
- Harding Avenue Elementary School – opened 1961
- West Gates Elementary School – opened 1961
- William Rall Elementary School – opened 1953
- Named for William Rall (1864-1944) who served as a Trustee on the Board of Education from 1895 to 1944, a total of 49 years.
- E. W. Bower Elementary School – opened 1953; closed 2011
- Named for Dr. Edward W. Bower (1884-1976) who was the Supervisor Principal from 1915 to 1947.
- Linwood Elementary School – opened c. 1954; closed c. 1972 (building is now the Rainbow Center)
- Niagara Avenue Elementary School – opened 1965; now closed, it is the McKenna Administration Building
- Kellum Street Elementary School – opened 1958; closed 1983
- School Street School – opened 1910; closed around 1982 (building demolished in 1987)
- Lindenhurst Middle School – opened 1932 (originally known as Lindenhurst High School, it became Lindenhurst Junior High School after the opening of the Senior High School)
- Lindenhurst High School – opened 1969
Lindenhurst Union Free School District, 350 Daniel Street, Lindenhurst, NY 11757 (631) 867-3000 www.lindenhurstschools.org