Weekly Recycling Pickup
Recycling is picked up weekly from households on Wednesdays. Recycling pickup alternates every week between glass, metal cans & plastics and newspaper & cardboard. The icon on each week of the Recycling Calendar indicates which recyclable materials will be collected each alternating week. During holiday weeks, recycling may be picked up on your regular garbage day (Thursday or Friday). Holidays where schedule changes occur are: New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. Please read the Recycling Calendar for special holiday pickup schedules.
Please note that service changes only occur during the seven holidays / weeks listed above. Although Town Offices are closed in observance of additional holidays, garbage service still occurs on all other town-observed holidays.
Glass, Metal Cans & Plastics
On weeks where the glass & can symbol appears on your calendar, EnCon will collect glass, metal cans & plastics from your curbside in your blue recycling bin or clear plastic bags. EnCon cannot collect these materials from any other type of receptacle.
- RINSE all metal, glass and plastic cans and bottles
- REMOVE caps, lids and wire rings
- FLATTEN plastic bottles to fit more contents
How To Properly Dispose: Blue Recycling Bins or Clear Plastic Bags
Please use only the free standard blue Town of Babylon recycling bins with lids and molded handles or clear plastic bags for curbside recycling pickup. Your garbage collectors won't be able to identify these materials if they are put in any other type of receptacle.
You can pick up the blue bins at the Town of Babylon Recycling Center in West Babylon, or at Babylon Town Hall (Town Council Office) in Lindenhurst.
Newspaper & Cardboard
On weeks when the newspaper symbol appears on your calendar, EnCon will collect properly bundled newspaper & cardboard materials from your curbside. These items should not be placed in any type of bin, can or trash pail.
- WRAP newspapers in twine or put them in paper bags
- DO NOT use plastic bags, blue recycling bins or trash cans
- BUNDLE & TIE magazines, junk mail, cardboard boxes & telephone books
How To Properly Dispose: Bundle, Tie or Brown Paper Bags
Please only bundle, tie or brown paper bag for newspaper & cardboard materials. These items should NOT be placed in blue recycling bins or any either type of can or pail. Your garbage collectors won't be able to identify these materials if they are placed in any type of receptacle.
Helpful Recycling Tips
- No material can be placed above the top of the recycling can. This helps your garbage collectors avoid injury and materials from falling out of the container.
- Be sure to rinse out your bottles and cans before putting them out for collection. This helps reduce contamination of the recyclables.
- Never use plastic bags to package newspaper at the curb. Always tie up newspaper with twine before putting it out for collection.
- Keep your garbage collectors safe and your streets clean by never putting liquid paints out at the curb. Paint cans that get crushed in the back of the trucks often spew paint.
- Recyclable cardboard can become easily contaminated by grease and food remnants. If your cardboard is contaminated such as a pizza box, please put it out in your regular household garbage pickup.
- Not sure if an item at your curb is too large to be picked up or if your yard waste isn't bundled properly? Visit EnCon's website or call (631) 491-3200 BEFORE you put the material at the curb.
- E-Waste is no longer picked up curbside. Please note that it is a NYSDEC violation to place E-Waste curbside: NYS DEC https://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/65583.html
- Electronics can be dropped off at the Residential Recycling Facility in West Babylon or returned to the place of sale. Arrangements for special pick-up can also be made by calling: (631) 249-9346 or (631) 249-9347
Encon will pickup white goods on Wednesdays; however, you must call ahead to reserve pickup. Call (631) 491-3200, weekdays from 9AM - 4PM and a representative will give you the pickup date. You need to call by Friday for pickup the next Wednesday. Please put the item at the curb in front of your house. For safety, please remove all doors from refrigerators and freezers.
White Goods Are: residential refrigerators, washers & dryers, dishwashers, stoves & microwaves, water heaters, air conditioners (no central units), bathtubs, metal desks, metal cabinets, compactors, metal dehumidifiers, cut up oil tanks, aluminum sheds (bundled, tied, under 4' and 50 lbs. or less)
Residential Recycling Center
The Residential Recycling Center, located on Field Street off Edison Avenue in West Babylon, is open for drop-off of recyclable materials weekdays from 8:00 A.M. to 2:30 P.M. If you have any questions concerning the Residential Recycling Center, please call (631) 249- 9346 or (631) 249-9347.
Acceptable Items for drop-off at the Residential Recycling Center include: plastics, glass, waste oil, car batteries, computer paper, telephone books, rocks, bricks, E-waste/electronics, household batteries, bicycles (for Adopt-A-Bike program), junk mail, oil filters, metal/aluminum cans, polystyrene, newspapers, cardboard, concrete (small pieces), four tires with or without rims, propane tanks and used clothing.
Note: Materials are only accepted from residents, no items from commercial or industrial entities are allowed.
- Where is the Town's Recycling Center?
The Towns Department of Environmental Control operates the Recycling Center. The Recycling Center receives waste that residents feel can’t be picked up at the curb. Not all items, however will be accepted. Unacceptable items include: explosive, ammunition, asbestos, automobile body part.
The Recycling center is located at 57 Field Street in West Babylon and can be contacted at (631) 249-9346.
The hours of operation for the Recycling center are Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 2:30pm.
- What is the trash and recycling pick-up schedule?
A complete trash and recycling pick-up schedule is mailed to each house on an annual basis and is also available online - Trash and Recycling Calendar.
- What is the earliest time trash pick-up service can begin?
Generally, trash service does not begin before 5:00 am. Residents are encouraged to call Commercial Waste at (631) 422-7670 if they notice, or are inconvenienced by, pick-up service occurring prior to 5:00 am.
- What items are considered "White Goods"?
White Goods are:
- residential refrigerators (remove all doors from refrigerators and freezers)
- washers and dryers
- water heaters
- air conditioners
- metal desks, metal cabinets
- metal dehumidifiers
- cut up oil tanks
- aluminum sheds (bundled, tied, under 4' and 50 lbs. or less)
- How can I schedule a special pick up of White Goods?
EnCon will pick up white goods on Wednesdays; however, you must call ahead to reserve pickup. Contact EnCon at (631) 491-3200, Monday through Friday from 9 am to 4 pm and a representative will give you the date your white goods will be picked up. You need to call by Friday for pickup the following Wednesday. Please put the item at the curb in front of your house.
For safety's sake, please remove all doors from refrigerators and freezers.
- How do I dispose of yard waste?
Yard waste is collected separately from garbage 12 months of the year. Yard wase is collected according to your Yard Waste Zone (YWZ). Yard waste will not be picked up on holidays and will be picked up on your next collection day the following week. If you do not know your yard waste day, call EnCon at (631) 491-3200.
- Yard waste cannot be mixed with garbage
- Do not use cardboard boxes for yard waste
- You may put out a maximum of 10 items of yard waste per week
- Bags of grass and leaves must be under 50 lbs
- Disposal regulations for tree debris (tree branches less than 4" in diameter) require that trimmings must be bundled, securely tied, under 4 feet long and under 50 lbs
- Dirt, sod and rocks cannot be collected - these items can be brought to a Transfer Station or Yard Waste Disposal Center
- What day is my yard waste collected?
Your yard waste collection day depends on your yard waste zone (YWZ). For more information, please check the Town of Babylon Recycling Calendar. Yard waste will not be picked up on holidays and will instead be picked up the next week on the resident’s usually scheduled pick-up day. The yard waste zones are as follows:
- YWZ 1 – South of Montauk Highway- Monday pick-up
- YWZ 2- Between Montauk Highway and Sunrise Highway- Tuesday Pick-up
- YWZ 3- Between Sunrise Highway and Southern State Parkway- Wednesday pick-up
- YWZ 4- Between Southern State Parkway and Long Island Avenue – Thursday pick-up
- YWZ 5- North of Long Island Avenue or North of Long Island Rail Road tracks- Friday
- How do I dispose of glass, cans and plastic?
When the bottles and cans symbol appears on your Trash and Recycling Calendar, EnCon will pick up glass, metal cans and plastics from your curbside in your blue recycling bin or clear plastic bags. EnCon cannot collect recycling material from any other type of receptacle.
- Aluminum and Metal Cans - rinse cans, labels may remain in place
- Glass Jars and Bottles - rinse jars and bottles, labels may be left on, remove caps, lids and wire rings (do not break glass or put plate glass, drinking glasses, light bulbs or window panes in the recycling bin)
- Plastic Bottles - rinse plastic bottles and remove caps and pumps (to fit more containers in the bin, flatten them)
- How do I dispose of newspapers, phone books, magazines and cardboard boxes?
When the newspaper symbol appears on your Trash and Recycling Calendar, EnCon will pick up properly wrapped newspapers from your curbside. Wrap newspapers in twine or put them into paper bags. Do not use plastic bags for holding newspapers. Magazines, junk mail, cardboard boxes and telephone books will be picked up along with newspapers. These items should be bundled and tied. Please put out newspapers regardless of the weather. Pizza and cereal boxes are not recyclable. Please dispose of pizza and cereal boxes with your normal household garbage. Do not use your recycling can or garbage pails to put your newspapers out. These items can also be brought to the recycling center at 51 Field Street in West Babylon between the hours of 8:00 am and 2:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
- What items can I drop off at the Residential Recycling Center?
Acceptable items for drop off at the residential recycling center are : plastics/ glass, waste oil, car batteries, computer paper, telephone books, bricks, household batteries, junk mail, oil filters, metal/ aluminum cans, polystyrene, newspaper cardboard, concrete ( broken pieces) 20 lb propane tanks fire extinguishers, electronics, and up to 4 tires with or without rims.
- Where can I dispose of oil from my car?
You can dispose of waste oil at the Residential Recycling Center, located located on Field Street off Edison Avenue in West Babylon. It is open for drop-off of recyclable materials on weekdays from 8 am to 2:30 pm. For further information please call (631) 249-9346 or (631) 422-7694.
- How do I dispose of my Christmas tree?
Natural Christmas trees go out on your regular yard waste day. No special arrangements need to be made.
- How do I dispose of paint?
Latex and water and oil based paint can be disposed of in your regular garbage. Please place the can's cover on tightly, place in double bags and only put out one can per pick-up. Residents can also drop paint cans off at the Residential Recycling Center at 57 Field Street in West Babylon. The hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 2:30 pm. Residents are reminded to utilize the Towns STOP program each spring and fall.
- How do I dispose of light residential construction debris?
Specific recycling information is available in Trash and Recycling Calendar. Limited construction debris, up to two items, is available for pickup on your Thursday or Friday garbage day. However, building material from major renovations cannot be taken. The Residential Recycling Center (631) 249-9346 or the Sanitation Department (631) 422-7694 can be contacted in the case that you need to dispose of an item and are not sure how to.
- When did the Town of Babylon start its recycling program?
The Town of Babylon began its town-wide recycling program almost 36 years ago. Today, more than 60% of the town participates in the effort to recycle.