- Human Services
- Senior Citizen Services
- Senior Transportation Services
Senior Transportation Services
Transportation is available for eligible senior residents (60 & over) to medical appointments (including physical therapy) within the Town of Babylon. Also, trips to Town Hall for payment of taxes and tax exemption applications, and the social security office in Babylon are also available. For further information on senior transportation services, please call: (631) 422-7618 or (631) 893-1056.
- Transportation Services are for Seniors 60 & Over
- Must be a Town of Babylon Resident
- Villages and Hamlets Serviced Include: Amityville, Babylon, Copiague, Deer Park, Lindenhurst, North Amityville North Babylon, North Lindenhurst, West Babylon, Wheatley Heights and Wyandanch.
Daily Medical Transportation:
Monday through Friday - Morning Appointments Only
8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. - Roundtrip service
11:00 a.m. appointment - appointment must be completed by 12:15 p.m. for round trip service. Seniors must give at-least 3 days notice prior to scheduling transportation appointment.
9:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. - Van begins pickup for seniors requesting free transportation to the supermarket.
Please Note: Shoppers are given approximately 1 1/4 hours in the store and are limited to 3 to 4 bags of groceries. Please be considerate of the other shoppers by following these rules.
Sponsored by the Town of Babylon, funding provided by the New York State Office for the Aging through the Suffolk County Office for the Aging. Suggested anonymous voluntary contribution of $1.00 per round trip is used to enhance the program.
- What services does the Essential Transportation Program provide?
The Essential Services Transportation Program is for seniors who reside in the Town of Babylon to receive free transportation to medical, dental and other essential appointments and services as long as they are within the boundaries of the Town of Babylon. Services include transportation to:
*Social Security Office located at 510 Park Avenue in West Babylon.
*Town of Babylon – Town Hall for tax payments.
Shopping transportation services are by appointment only, Monday through Friday. Appointments can be made by calling (631) 422-7618 or (631) 893-1056.
- Who is eligible for the Essential Transportation Services Program?
The Essential Services Transportation Program is for seniors who reside in the Town of Babylon and meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Must be 60 years of age or older
- Do not own a car or have access to one
- Cannot afford taxi services
- Is there a fee or cost for services?
There is no charge for these services.
- How much notice is needed for Essential Transportation Services?
Participants are required to notify the program at least 7-10 days prior for the need of transportation service. This will guarantee your appointment.
- Can Essential Transportation Services drive me to physical therapy appointments?
Yes, given the availability of transportation. These appointments must be made in advance with pick-ups starting at 9:00 am, with the last appointment scheduled at 1:30pm. Any appointments past 1:30pm must be a one-way trip.
- How long can I receive Essential Transportation Services?
There is no renewal period to be part of the program and applicants can receive services as long as they live in the Town of Babylon and as long as they need the services.
- How do you verify if an applicant cannot drive or does not have a vehicle?
Once you apply, vehicle possession and driving abilities will be verified by Town staff by interviewing the applicant.
- What are some of the rules for using Essential Transportation Services?
Transportation services are only within the boundaries of the Town of Babylon.
Residents are urged to schedule their doctor and essential appointments between the hours of 9:00 am - 1:30 pm on the day designated for your area.