Animal Complaints

Any complaints regarding chickens, domestic ducks, pigeons, fish, please call 3-1-1 or 631-957-7474.

  • Complaints for barking, dogs at large, waste collection, number of dogs, etc. When you call the Shelter to make a complaint you will be speaking to office personnel. They will dispatch your complaint to an Animal Control Officer (ACO). Please be prepared with an exact address. An ACO will call you back to discuss the procedure for Animal Control’s response to these types of complaints.
  • Complaints for dogs that have attacked or threatened to attack a person or companion animal will be responded to by an Animal Control Officer (ACO). The Town Of Babylon has court procedures for these types of cases. Please be prepared with the exact address of the dog at issue and the police central complaint number on your police report. The NYS Law for this can be found here

Animal Control: 

The Town of Babylon covers 53 square miles and is serviced by 3 Animal Control Officers who enforce Article 7 of the Agriculture and Markets Law of New York State and the Local Laws and Ordinances of the Town of Babylon.

Animal Control Officers cannot enforce the codes that are in the Villages of Amityville, Babylon, and Lindenhurst. Staff in the shelter office takes initial animal control calls and complaints from residents and dispatch the many calls per year to the Animal Control Officers. 

Monday-Friday 8am-3:30pm, contact Animal Control services at 631-643-9270. Animal Control Officers respond to: 

  • Loose or contained stray dogs 
  • Cats only if injured or sick 
  • Wildlife only if injured or sick on a case by case basis. Some wildlife calls are best handled by licensed and trained wildlife personnel. 
  • **Outside of these regular business days and hours Animal Control Officers only respond to sick, injured, or vicious contained dogs after Public Safety has been contacted 631-422-7600

Please contact the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation for information about controlling nuisance wildlife (ie. raccoons, Canada geese, bats). 631-444-0310 

Deceased Animals on Roadways:

Dogs: You may contact the Animal Shelter at 631-643-9270 for a deceased stray dog in the roadway. The dog will be scanned for a microchip and all attempts will be made to locate the owner. 

Cats & Wildlife: 

  • Town roadways please call 3-1-1 or 631-957-7474
  • State Roadways please call 631-420-4270 (Deer Park Ave. (North of Southern State Pkwy), Conklin St., Sunrise Hwy, Montauk Hwy., Route109, Route 110.)
  • County roadways please call 631-852-4010 (Great Neck Rd., Wellwood Ave., Bay Shore Rd., Oak St., Straight path., Commack Rd., Deer Park Ave. (South of Southern State Pkwy). 
  • Amityville Village roadways 631-264-6000 
  • Babylon Village roadways 631-669-4878
  • Lindenhurst Village roadways 631-957-7500 

Animal FAQs: 

View All