8/21/2021 AFTERNOON UPDATE:
For residents who live south of Montauk Highway and are looking to move their vehicles, the following parking lots will be made available beginning at 6pm tonight:
- The shopping center on Montauk Highway in West Babylon where Big Lots, Starbucks and the South Bay movie theatre are located
- Old Kmart shopping center on Montauk Highway in West Babylon
- Merrineck Shopping Center in Copiague
- All Town of Babylon parking lots at the Long Island Railroad station in Copiague
*Please note that this list will be updated to add more parking lots as we receive further confirmations*
8/21/2021 MORNING UPDATE:
Henri is forecasted to affect Long Island starting late tonight into early Sunday morning. We encourage all residents to prepare for the impacts we will feel here in the Town of Babylon.
To prepare, make sure you have:
- Non-perishable food and bottled water
- An adequate supply of any prescription medication
- A supply of batteries and a battery-operated radio
- Taken down any loose outdoor objects
- Fully charged your electronic devices
The Department of Emergency Management advises all residents to do the following once the storm begins:
- Stay home and off the roads as conditions continue to deteriorate Sunday
- Be cautious of and stay away from flooding in low-lying areas near the bay and canals
- Never drive through any flooded roadways
- Stay away from downed power lines and report all downed lines to PSEG Long Island
The Department of Environmental Control is advising mariners to do the following:
- Remove boats from the water or add extra lines to secure them. (Ocean conditions and those within the Fire Island Inlet will continue to deteriorate well ahead of the storm and will make the waters extremely treacherous for small vessels.)
- Secure floatable items in your yard to reduce waterborne debris from entering the bay if you live south of Montauk Highway
More tips on how to prepare: https://www.ready.gov/hurricanes
The Department of Public Works is prepared to respond to clean up storm debris once the storm has passed. Please be advised that in situations where tree debris is entangled with power lines, our crews cannot respond until PSEG clears the lines.
To report power outages and/or downed lines to PSEG, call 1-800-490-0075, text OUT to 773454, or go online at www.psegliny.com
The Department of Parks & Recreation is closing all town pool, beach and spray park facilities on Sunday.
All boaters and campers must vacate Cedar Beach Marina & Campground and Gilgo Marina by 7:30pm today, August 21st.
All facilities will remain closed until a storm assessment will be done to determine when facilities will reopen.
8/20/2021 EVENING UPDATE:
Our area has been upgraded to a Hurricane Warning, increasing the likelihood we will experience significant effects from the storm. We encourage our residents in low-lying areas to use this time to plan ahead of the storm.
Further updates will be provided as necessary.
8/20/2021 AFTERNOON UPDATE:
With our area under a Hurricane Watch as Henri moves up the east coast, our Departments of Emergency Management, Public Works and Environmental Control are closely monitoring the storm’s path and strength. Current models project that Long Island will begin to feel the effects of the storm over the weekend, with high winds and coastal flooding possible.