- Fees and interest penalties will be waived for second-half property tax payments until June 20th. Click here for more information.
- Beach permits to go on sale June 1st. Click here for more information.
- Click here to learn about our plans for summer 2020. Pools and spray parks will be CLOSED for the 2020 summer season.
- The Town of Babylon has developed a model reopening plan that will help businesses get back to work as quickly as possible while protecting both employees and customers. Learn more here.
Please see below for the latest updates regarding COVID-19 from the Babylon Town Board. To receive e-mail updates from the Town of Babylon, please click here and select "Town of Babylon Updates" under the "Notify Me" section.
Do you know someone who is going above and beyond during the COVID-19 crisis? Click here and tell us their story.
A Message from Babylon Town Supervisor Rich Schaffer:
To my friends and neighbors,
On behalf of my colleagues on the Babylon Town Board, I’d like to once again extend our well wishes to you and your loved ones as we all continue to experience the effects of COVID-19. All of our lives have been transformed in some way. I want you to know that the Town of Babylon will be here for you. We are a strong community that has stood together in the face of adversity before and we will emerge stronger, as we did before.
I would like to also remind you to please be mindful of your neighbors during this time and please stay home unless absolutely necessary! If you must go out in public, please use common sense and practice social distancing. If you are in a situation where you cannot practice social distancing, please follow the guidelines regarding wearing a mask/face covering in public as set by Governor Cuomo.
I’d also like to take the opportunity to thank the amazing workforce of essential employees here in the Town of Babylon, including health care professionals, law enforcement officers including our officers from the Suffolk County Police Department’s First Precinct, mental health experts, grocery store employees, public transit workers and, of course, our Town of Babylon workforce. We have been celebrating many of these individuals who are doing incredible work during this difficult time on our Town social media channels: Facebook and Twitter. If you know someone who is deserving of recognition, please submit their story here.
Please see below for a comprehensive review of town services and information related to COVID-19.
To find the latest numbers on COVID-19 cases within the Town of Babylon, please click here.
HOW DO I ACCESS TOWN SERVICES?
- PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT AN ONLINE REQUEST and for updates from our departments regarding services, cancellations/postponements and closures.
- Applications, permits and forms are available to download here or on the department’s page.
- Town Board meetings can be viewed here.
- The May 14th Town Board meeting, including the public hearings, was held remotely and livestreamed via YouTube. Click here to watch.
WHAT THE TOWN OF BABYLON IS DOING:
- Supervisor Rich Schaffer has declared a State of Emergency in the Town of Babylon, effective Friday, March 13, 2020, to ensure that the Town is able to acquire all items deemed necessary to sanitize its facilities and do its part to prevent the spread of the virus.
- All large Town of Babylon gatherings and events scheduled, with the exception of board meetings unless otherwise noted, have been postponed until further notice.
- All Town of Babylon buildings remain partially CLOSED to the public until further notice. If you need to visit either Town Hall or the Town Hall Annex to drop off or pick-up anything related to a necessary service, there will be one entrance available to speak with a Public Safety officer.
From Deputy Supervisor Tony Martinez:
- Parks and Recreation
- We are happy to announce that Parks & Recreation Summer Beach Permits will go on sale Monday, June 1st at the Phelps Lane pool in North Babylon. Click here for more information.
- While this summer will certainly be different than years past, the Town of Babylon is determined to do all that it can to make our cherished parks and beaches available for our residents to enjoy this season. Visit this page to find information on what we are doing to make our parks, beaches and recreation facilities both accessible and safe for our neighbors and staff.
- We ask that residents please abide by the social distancing guidelines as set by the CDC: keep six feet away from each other and no group activities. These guidelines will be enforced by Public Safety officials and NYS has increased fines for non-compliance to $1,000. Any fines collected will be donated to COVID-19 first responders.
- Beginning Monday, June 8th, boating and camping permits will be available for purchase at the Parks & Recreation Office in North Babylon. Click here for more information.
- Animal Shelter
- Our Animal Shelter remains open for drop-offs but is currently closed for adoptions. The shelter remains operational to care for the animals, who are all being taken care of and doing well.
- Planning and Development
- Please remember that ALL Building and Planning Department applications can be filed by mail. An in-person visit to the Planning and Building Departments is not necessary. Town Staff will call you to confirm receipt of your application and will mail you a receipt for the filing fee.
- Accessory Apartment/Rental Renewal Applications must be physically mailed back within 30 days of expiration. Please click here for more information.
- Please remember that if you are in need of other services, you can submit a request through our Online Services tool. Be sure to select Planning or Building under the “Departments” window and your request will be routed to the correct place.
From Councilman Terry McSweeney:
As Chairman of the Public Safety Committee, I am working to make sure the quality of life standards our residents expect are upheld while keeping our employees safe and healthy.
- Public Safety
- Our Public Safety team is working around the clock to ensure visitors to our public parks and other areas are adhering to social distancing mandates and staying away from closed equipment, like playgrounds.
- Fire Marshal
- The town’s Fire Marshals Office continues to operate on a limited basis by responding to emergency calls, inspecting buildings carrying out essential services and visiting construction sites at sites that are still active under New York State guidance.
- Code Enforcement
- Much like the Fire Marshals Office, our Code Enforcement team is operational and responding to essential situations.
From Councilman Anthony Manetta:
Locally-owned businesses are the backbone of Babylon’s economy. As Chairman of the Small Business Committee, I want to make sure our businesses have access to every available resource during these difficult times.
From Councilman DuWayne Gregory:
As an elected official for many years, I know how important local government services can be, especially to the residents that rely on them the most.
- Though our senior centers remain closed to combat the community spread of COVID-19, our Senior Meals program will continue. If you are a senior having difficulty food shopping and are facing a shortage, please call us at 631-464-4340.
- Our food pantry is open for those currently in need.
- As always, our food pantry is in need of essential items. If you have the means to donate at this time, please dial 631-464-4340 to learn how you can help.
- Garbage and recyclable collection will not be interrupted during this ongoing situation. In order to keep our waste collection employees healthy, we ask that you do the right thing by them and their families by properly bagging garbage and desanitizing your cans.
From Town Clerk Gerry Compitello:
- The Town Clerk’s office will be closed until further notice.
- Copies of birth, death and marriage certificates can be sent via mail. To request a copy, please visit our Online Services page and select "Town Clerk’s Office" under Department.
- Starting on July 6, 2020, the Town Clerk’s Office will be scheduling appointments to obtain a Marriage License for Town of Babylon residents only. Appointments will be held on Mondays and Wednesdays. To schedule an appointment, please contact Dawn at email@example.com or call 631-957-4294.
From Tax Receiver Jennifer Montiglio:
- As of now the property tax deadline in Suffolk County remains May 31st and would need to be changed by Suffolk County. The Town Board has sent a letter to Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone formally requesting a suspension of penalties for residents who pay before August 1, 2020 that can prove financial hardship as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak. We are still waiting for the county to approve this request and will provide an update when more information is available.
- We have announced the opening of a drive-through tax payment system as a response to the ongoing spread of COVID-19 on Long Island. The Town leased three booths and outfitted them with the necessary technology so residents can pay their property taxes without leaving their vehicle. Employees in the booths will be provided with masks and gloves while dealing with the public. All residents are also required to wear the necessary personal protective equipment (PPE). For hours and more information, please click here.
- Please remember that payments can be made online 24/7 at www.officialpayments.com.
Wyandanch and Amityville "Hotspot" Testing Sites
The Town of Babylon has announced that it has joined with Suffolk County and HRHCare Community Health to establish two "hotspot" testing sites to address areas that are seeing higher rates of COVID-19 spread. If you or someone in your family believes you may have COVID-19, please call (845) 553-8030 to make an appointment.
Please see the below flyers (available in English, Spanish and Creole) for more information.
HRH Care Amityville - 1080 Sunrise Highway, Amityville, NY 11701
English - Spanish - Creole
HRH Care Wyandanch - 1556 Straight Path, Wyandanch, NY 11798
English - Spanish - Creole
New York State Drive-Through Testing Information
Drive-through sampling sites are a critical part of the Governor’s nation-leading program to test for COVID-19. These facilities reduce density and the potential for spread by keeping people who are sick or at risk of having contracted coronavirus out of healthcare facilities where they could infect other people.
The drive-through sites are prioritizing sampling for symptomatic individuals that are part of the highest risk population, those who have been in close contact with a positive case, and, as necessary, health care workers, nursing home employees and first responders on the front lines.
Testing is by appointment only. Residents who believe they have been in close contact with a case and have symptoms, and would like to be tested can be assessed by calling the COVID-19 hotline at 888-364-3065.
Individual test results are sent to the individual by phone, text, or they can access the online patient portal at http://www.Bioreference.com
New York State Testing sites in Suffolk County :
Stony Brook University has a mobile testing site It has six lanes to accommodate up to 1,000 tests per day and it will be opened 7 days a week from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., To make an appointment to be assessed please call the COVID-19 hotline at 888-364-3065.
First Responder Testing:
To help support those in need of testing the most, ProHEALTH is opening its Drive-Thru COVID-19 testing sites to all first responders, and you do not have to be a ProHEALTH patient. Any first responder with COVID-19 symptoms, should simply call ProHEALTH’s drive-thru scheduling hotline at 516-874-0411 to talk to a medical professional. If testing is needed, you will be scheduled for an appointment at one of ProHEALTH’s 4 urgent care locations in either Lake Success, Jericho, Riverhead or Little Neck.
Please see below for information on some of the resources that are available during COVID-19.
Island Harvest provides free referrals and free assistance for SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) over the phone at 631-873-4775. Island Harvest can walk applicants through the online application by telephone or complete a short intake and submit the online application for you.
To sign up for the latest updates from Suffolk County - TEXT : COVIDSUFFOLK TO "67283"
New Yorkers can call the COVID-19 Emotional Support Hotline at 1-844-863-9314 for mental health counseling
To sign up for the latest updates from New York State - click HERE
For information on best practices to avoid transmission of Covid-19 - click HERE
For information on Covid-19 testing in Suffolk County - click HERE
New York State COVID-19 E-Mail Updates: HERE
New York State Department of Health: HERE
U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: HERE
World Health Organization: HERE
Suffolk County Health Bulletins: HERE
Take Out/Delivery Options in the Town of Babylon: HERE
COVID-19 Health Tips with Suffolk County Health Commissioner Dr. Gregson Pigott: HERE
NYS Comptroller - COVID-19 Financial Survival Toolkit for New Yorkers: HERE
LI Against Domestic Violence:
Red Cross Family Assistance Center for New York State Families:
NYS Department of Health: 1-888-364-3065
NYS Emotional Support/Mental Health: 1-844-863-9314