Below is the exemption listing with some general descriptions. For more detailed information, call the Town Assessor’s Office, (631) 957-3014. Available Exemptions include:
STAR (a school tax exemption only):
- Basic STAR – New STAR applicants will receive a credit in the form of a check directly from New York State instead of receiving a school property tax exemption. Visit New York State Department of Taxation and Finance or call (518) 457-2036 to register.
- Enhanced STAR – you must have had a star exemption on this property for the 2015/2016 tax year. If no, you are not eligible for the Enhanced STAR exemption. However, you may be eligible for the Enhanced STAR credit. Register at www.tax.ny.gov or call (518) 457-2036. Available to senior citizens age 65 and over (applicant must be 65 years of age by December 31 of the year in which the application is filed). It must be the primary residence of the owners and there is a maximum income requirement. In order to file for the year 2023 the owners’ incomes (adjusted gross less any IRA distributions) may not have exceeded $93,000 for the 2021 income tax year. The Income Verification Program (IVP) is now mandatory per New York State. The state will automatically verify your eligibility for the exemption yearly.
Available to senior citizens age 65 and over (applicant must be 65 years of age by December 31 of the year in which the application is filed). It must be the primary residence of the owners and there is a maximum income requirement. In order to file for the year 2023, the owners’ incomes total gross including social security and income earned on IRA accounts may not have exceeded $37,400 for 2021. This exemption must be renewed annually.
Available to honorably discharged veterans (or their unremarried surviving spouse) that have served on active duty during a specified war period or a congressionally approved conflict period with combat status. Property must serve as the primary residence. A service connected disability may entitle the veteran to a larger exemption. Does not renew annually.
COLD WAR VETERANS
Available to honorably discharged veterans (or their unremarried surviving spouse) that have served on active duty for any length of period between September 2, 1945 to December 26, 1991. Property must serve as the primary residence. A service connected disability may entitle the veteran to a larger exemption. A veteran may not have a Cold War vet, an Alternative vet. Does not renew annually.
VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTER AND AMBULANCE SERVICE WORKER
Available to those members who have served at least five years in the same department (name must appear on the chief’s certification list) and must primarily reside in the Town of Babylon. Members who have served for twenty years or more are eligible for the exemption on their primary residence anywhere in Suffolk County – again, their name must appear on the list of eligibles provided by the chief of each Fire Department in the Town of Babylon. In addition, THE APPLICANT MUST FILE AN APPLICATION FOR EXEMPTION AND RENEW ANNUALLY IN ORDER TO RETAIN THE EXEMPTION. Must renew annually and be certified annually.
PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES AND LIMITED INCOME
Available to persons with disabilities whose total gross income for 2020 or 2021 (including social security and income earned on IRA accounts) did not exceed $37,400. The applicant must own and primarily reside on the premises. In addition, the applicant must provide a letter of certification of disability from any one of the following:
- SOCIAL SECURITY RETIREMENT BOARD
- RAILROAD RETIREMENT BOARD
- UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE
- STATE COMMISSION FOR THE BLIND AND VISUALLY HANDICAPPED
- U.S. DEPARTMENT OF VETERAN’S AFFAIRS
Only one of the owners must qualify if the property is owned by a husband and wife or by siblings (e.g. brother and a brother; brother and a sister or a sister and a sister), otherwise all owners must meet the eligibility requirements. Must renew annually.
Available to all one and two family homes, at least five years of age. Does not require annual renewal.
FIRST TIME HOME BUYERS - NEWLY CONSTRUCTED HOME
Available to 1st time home buyers of a newly constructed home. Applies to houses, townhouses and condos that serve as the primary residence of the owner. Does not require annual renewal.