How do I legalize an existing structure?
You can legalize an illegal structure by applying for a Building Permit and follow the permit application process:
  • Complete a Building Permit Application with the property owner's signature notarized

  • Submit three full sized, signed, sealed, original surveys - surveys must show all current improvements to the property

  • Submit two sets of floor plans drawn to 1/4 inch = 1 foot scale

  • Submit photographs of different views of the structure (including front, side and rear)

  • Submit a plumbing permit application, if required

  • Submit a Fire Underwriters Certificate, if required, for electrical work that was done

Show All Answers

1. What is an illegally-built structure?
2. Why do I need to legalize an existing structure by obtaining a Building Permit?
3. How do I legalize an existing structure?
4. What are the fees associated with legalizing a structure?