The Town is very dedicated to the preservation of trees and will only remove a tree as a last resort or during road reconstruction projects. A tree may be removed for the following reasons:
- Roots are uplifting the road
- Roots are interfering with a drainage basin
- The tree is in the boundaries of the proposed road expansion (Federal and State guidelines dictate how wide a street must be)
- The condition of the tree jeopardizes public safety (roots that are cut or damaged compromise the integrity of the tree which could in turn become a public safety issue)
- The tree is diseased or dead
We encourage all residents who have lost a tree and want another one to apply for the Town's Tree Planting Program by filling out a Tree Replacement Application. You can obtain an application by contacting the Department of Environmental Control at (631) 422-7640 ext. 7645.