For those interested in becoming landlords in the Town's Section 8 housing program, please contact the Housing Assistance Agency by calling (631) 893-1025.
All Section 8 properties are required to hold a Town of Babylon Rental Permit. Rental Permit applications can be obtained through the Department of Planning and Development's Rental Division.
To apply for a Rental Permit, you must fill out a Rental Permit Application and file it with the Rental Division.
The following items will be required when you submit your application:
- Deed or duplicate Certificate of Title
- Detailed floor plans drawn at 1/4" = 1' scale
- Certificate of Occupancy
- Tax bill
- Building Permit application (if you intend to make changes to the dwelling or building)
- Fee ($200 for first unit and $50.00 for each additional unit)
The permit requirements for rental units include:
- Smoke detectors must be placed in each bedroom, each hallway leading to a bedroom and at least one on each level of the house
- Hardwired carbon dioxide detectors must be on each level of the building
- Railings for all outside stoops in excess of 18" high
- Handrails for stairwells
- Fire-rated sheet rock for boiler areas
- Improved driveways
- No unregistered motor vehicles are allowed on the property
- Property must be in good and well maintained condition
- Storm windows
- No basement bedrooms
- Electric outlets cannot be exposed
- Tiles and grouting in bathrooms must be in good condition
- All units must have proper heat and hot water
- All Building Permits and Certificates of Occupancy must be in place and up to date
- House or building address number must be visible
For more detailed information on these requirements, please call the Rental Division at (631) 957- 4434.